Author Topic: Reimpose rules  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Reimpose rules
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »
Hi, guys
I have a little problem with the acceptance of flights. Sorry to bring this up and maybe upset some captains but:

1) reinstate the maximum landing fpm

In the past this was set to -700 fpm  and I actually got a message from the dispatcher that the landing rate on one of my flights was too high so the flight will not be considered. This is a little bit closer to reality than landing at -1300 fpm or higher. Yeah, you don't get sued by every passenger and you don't have to pay the plane, but at least you have to redo the flight.

2) a better filtering of accepted flights

Just went on the Stats Center->Company Stats page and I see that the acceptance of flights is a bit weird. For example we have a captain who flew 206739 NM this month. That means he flew 10'336 NM per day. It's a bit hard to do that especially when you're not the first on number of flights nor time flown.

Then you have another pilot who flew 2409 hours which means he flew 120 hours per day. No comment.

I know it's all about fun, but we wouldn't read those 200 page manuals for every plane if we didn't care about the "simulator" (reality) part of things. I know I'm the black sheep now, but I really don't like when we downsize the reality side of flight simulation. It's enough that people from the outside do it. Let's be as professional as we can, at least amongst ourselves.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
Re: Reimpose rules
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
Hi, again

this is getting worse :D. Yesterday I made a flight from King Abdul Haziz (OEJN) to Dubai Interantional (OMDB). At the end, I've sent the PIREP with kACARS and it reported a CONNECTION ERROR so I resent it again, successfully this time. The problem is that it got sent two times and the worst thing is that it got accepted twice!

How are the flights accepted?

Cheers,
Adrian

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Popularity: +5/-1
  • Flying is a way of life
    • View Profile
    • Air Danubius - virtual airline company
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »
I will check this out. Sometimes it happes. Its good that you notice this things

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Hi again,

coming back to our little problem...

April 2014 Stats:

landings at rates over -2752 fpm with the all time record at -9234 fpm (~169 km/h touchdown rate - about 470 Gs for a 0.1 seconds lay-down time, which is an underestimation because there are no shocks that can absorb a 169 km/h impact in such a long time, so things will happen much faster and with heavier damage) - sorry about this, I am a physicist :D so I like putting everything in numbers. If you hit a tree in your car at 169 km/h, nobody's alive. Not to mention that a plane is more fragile than a car in the sense that it is much larger so -> smaller distances between structural hard-points - wings fall off, landing gear brakes off, fuel and hydraulic lines break or tank punctures with sparks everywhere. You do the math. If the final approach doesn't look good, you are OBLIGATED to go around. Try again, it's a unique feeling ;)!

distances of 93929 NM which means 6261 NM per day. This is a flight usually done in at least 10 hours. So 10 hours every day of flying? I really doubt that. I have nothing against pilots who fly with time compression of more than 1x (this is the only way this distance could be achieved) but where is the reality? How can one enjoy a flight over the Atlantic made in one hour? Further more, if there are controllers in the area, VATSIM frowns/forbids (I don't remember what they said in the rules, but it was there as a special point) upon flights using >1x time compression.

192 hours of flight for one captain adding up to 13.2 hours of flight per day. Again, I really doubt that! I know kACARS knows if you pause or change the time compression on your simulator so this can happen only if kACARS was tricked, involuntary of course, somehow. If I want to do an Atlantic flight but somehow in the middle of it I want to go to sleep, I just pause the simulator, disconnect from VATSIM and in the morning I just unpause the simulator and reconnect to VATSIM. This way, kACARS knows I paused the simulator and will only count the hours I've actually flown. I don't know how others do it, but this way I only get credit for the hours the simulator was on. Yes, a resend of the FP is necessary but just send your FP again with your current hour minus the hours you spent in-flight until then (read it on the chronometer that you've started while rolling out).

Now, I know there are some new pilots, I don't want to blame anybody because we're all here to learn and mistakes make us learn, but there are some rules that should be known and obeyed by default:
- you are allowed to start a new flight only from the airport you landed in the previous flight unless you bought a ticket and flown elsewhere as a passenger (on the bottom of the Flight Schedules page in your Pilot Center), if you have the money - I actually saw two consecutive accepted flights starting from the same airport for the same Captain
- if the simulator is off, DO NOT forget to close kACARS (with a CLEAR THE PIREP command given - optional) - lately I've seen flights days old still in CRUISING or more often than not, in UNKNOWN
- because the algorithm for flight acceptance is a bit loose (concerning landing rate), please do not send your FP to be accepted if your landing rate surpasses -700 fpm - I am hoping this rate will be different for different aircraft but for now this should be OK (a C172 is not an F-18 to be able to slam on the ground).
- the flight ends  when the aircraft is secured so that's when you send the PIREP to the dispatcher; one shouldn't stop the simulator before sending the PIREP because of the Simulator Connection Lost that may give faulty PIREPs
- if you've crashed, do not send a PIREP
- if after pressing the Send PIREP buton, nothing happened and kACARS looks like it is stock, WAIT; DO NOT press the button again; when kACARS is again usable, go to airdanubius.eu and check on the first page in the ARRIVALS section if your PIREP was sent; more often than not, kACARS sent the PIREP but because a status report or handshake didn't go through successfully you'll get a CONNECTION ERROR; don't mind it and check the airdanubius.eu page, it will be already sent - I've seen same flights accepted twice
- if you're flying with failures on and you have to divert, before sending the PIREP (after a successful divert), please, change the destination (Arrival ICAO) to the divert field you've just landed on; this way you will find yourself at the diverted airport for the next flight - more realistic

That's about it. Sorry for bugging in with this again, and maybe upsetting the administrators (hope not) :D. I know we're here to have fun, but I find it more satisfying when we're pushing for reality ;). Otherwise, it's just Alien Invaders without the shooting :)).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:44:00 PM by Adrian Chitan »

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Hey Adrian,

Your comments are very useful, documented and normal. They are all noted and known. Momentary the staff is working to implement not only the rules but other issues as well that are linked to some database/php programming so all the rules (translated into programming functions and procedures) will work fail-proof;

At the moment staff is working on:
- A New payware custom kAkars with many more functions that will reflect the different important procedures during the flight (lights, flaps..etc)
- A new approach regarding the number relation between the  fleet aircraft's/flight routes/number of pilots in the roster, keeping in mind the implementation of the aircraft unique location (So the aircraft lets say B737 reg. YR-DBA will only exists in one location at a time. the idea is also to be able to book a flight with an aircraft only if its not flown by other pilot ).
- Implementing freelance/career mode. In freelance you can fly whatever or wherever. if you opt for career, then you have to pas the training/exam for each aircraft class, you have to fly by economy (passengers/cargo and fuel is important here), flying time is also important here, and the payment received monthly can be transformed maybe in some praises from the company. regarding the payment there will be a monthly fee  + flying hours bonuses.
- About the pilot of the month we are thinking about programming a formula that will take into account the flying hours, number of flights, passengers/cargo...fuel consumption landing rate..etc.
- After some periods some aircraft's will go into maintenance and spare changes.
- For charter flights there will be specific registration aircraft that will be used only for this.
- For training we want to find an airfield equipped with ILS, NDB/VOR  ADF capabilities ..etc anywhere in the world so we can called it our training hub (opened to suggestion)

So that's what Air Danubius Staff is working on right now.
We want to open new positions for those who want to join the administration work and like the idea to get involved and have some time to spare  (separate from flying) in actively running this virtual airline.

Please reply if you have any comments.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:47:07 AM »
Oh, I didn't know you were working on this. Maybe I should start attending the meetings :D. Thank you, I can hardly wait for everything to start working :D.

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »
Please do attend on TS.
Daniel Haineala, Aur Bogdan, Bogdan Ghincea, Mihai Floran and when available chief Marius Chiosea (he is in Mexico) are involved in this. But also others are ivited to join the efforts.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27