Author Topic: Why it crashed  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Why it crashed
« on: May 29, 2015, 07:14:57 AM »
Hi guys,

just a quick post on how to obtain minimal debugging information on why your simulator crashed, and maybe do something about it (take the culprit out or search the internet for a more targeted solution). I found out recently about his so there may be others in our virtual airline that don't know about this, so that's why the post :D.

FSX

The best way to debug FSX is by using Windows' Event Viewer. In Windows XP you can open this by going into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Event Viewer -> Application and looking for the Error entries for FSX.exe.

In Windows 8 (and I guess 7 and Vista for that matter because they all have pretty good search capabilities) you just have to search for Event Viewer and the tool will appear in the results. Again you have to look for application errors concerning FSX.exe.

While the XP version differs from the 8 one in the information that is provided concerning the error, they both do a really good job on explaining what and why crashed the sim. Take for example the above screen shot taken on one of my latest crashes of FSX. After looking for the crash entry (by Faulting application path and concurring that with the time of the crash) - you can actually create your own filters to show you only what you need to see - I can see that FSUIPC4.dll crashed the sim (Faulting module path). I can even get information on what really happened by doing a Google search for the Exception code 0x0000005 which tells me that it was a memory Access violation crash, and maybe get a solution to it. The solution that immediately works is to remove FSUIPC :D. Unfortunately, while I don't really use FSUIPC for it's intended purpose (control customization, etc. etc.), I do need it to get flight parameters out for the ACARS app. So this is quite a grievance...

On a not so different subject, I reviewed the FSX:SE crashes and it seems that the same FSUIPC module was the culprit, though it happened much more often.

X-Plane

While one can debug X-Plane also by looking in the Event Viewer, X-Plane has a file called Log.txt which is rewritten every time you start it. This file alone, usually, gives you all the information you need to debug a crash. If a crash occurs there will be a final entry like "X-Plane has crashed because of ..." which is enough. There are some crashes that may not appear as plainly as this or as easy to spot as this, like some scenery crashes because of to much memory usage. The picture bellow shows a typical Log.txt end for X-Plane, meaning without any crash :D.

Hope this helps,
Adrian
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 07:16:33 AM by Adrian Chitan »

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
Re: Why it crashed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:32:23 AM »
Just a quick revisit on this subject, concerning the FSUIPC crash. The problem was with a registry entry about fsx.exe that was inserted in by the install application. It only affected Windows 8 (everybody is calling it Windows 8.1 but there is no installation of Windows 8 without the .1 update in the World) users so the creator of FSUIPC took it out of the installer in the newest version.

In any case, I also checked the registry and saw that stuff that is not installed anymore have entries still. Not a problem, but in the interest of keeping a clean registry, I deleted those (I don't know what those "clean up your registry" apps do 'cuz I used some of them and I still get bogus entries, not to mention the uninstall apps that don't clean after themselves!!!).

Anyways, I can now use ACARS apps with my C182 flights and register them :D.

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Popularity: +5/-1
  • Flying is a way of life
    • View Profile
    • Air Danubius - virtual airline company
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
hmm. Good to know!

Offline Sebastian Rus

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 03:39:32 PM »
Salutare prieteni !
De ceva vreme am o mare problema cu FSX-ul meu. INGHEATA. Am tot citit pe alte forumuri , dar nu i-am dat de cap.
A avut cineva problema asta pana acum ?
Daca da , cum s-a rezolvat.
Am mare nevoie de ajutor.
Multumesc.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
Salut Sebastian,

putem avea mai multe informatii?

OS?
Ce FSX? SE sau Microsoft
Ce inseamna "ingheata"? Se blocheaza fara sa mai poti face nimic in afara de Close Application din Task Manager sau chiar apare ferestruica de crash?
Aceasta "inghetare" se intampla intr-un anume add-on sau orice avion ai lua si in orice aeroport ai fi (vreun scenery care face probleme).

O zi buna :)

Offline Sebastian Rus

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »
Salutare,
Folosesc un Win7 pe 64bit , proc i5 4670k , video Nvidia GTX1060 6GB , 16GB memorie , racire sistem buna . Deci resurse eu zic ca sant.
Microsoft Flight Simulator X  este original , nepiratat , cu sp2 instalat.
Dupa cateva minute de jucat jocul intra in "FSX not responding" si este ingetat.
Am 2 optiuni : sa astept cam 10-15 minute si revine la viata pentru alte cateva minute , sau sa-l inchid.
Am citit posturi de pe http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?248753-for-all-those-with-FSX-quot-freezes-quot si alte forumuri.
Am descarcat acel dll dar degeaba.
Cred ca am albit pe cap de la aceasta problema :))
Asa ca accept orice sfat. Multumesc anticipat.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:59:40 AM »
Salut!

Cred ca e de la FSUIPC. Din ce imi aduc aminte am avut si eu o problema cu asta si se comporta la fel. Crezand ca iau ultima varianta l-am instalat si imi dadea NOT RESPONDING. Am luat alta varianta (dezinstalare FSUIPC inainte de instalarea urmatorului) si aia a fost. S-a curatat. Cand ajung acasa iti trimit si ce versiune de FSUIPC am eu si poate si de unde am luat-o (daca e scris site-ul in rar...de obicei este :))

P. S. in legatura cu resurse destule pentru FSX, lucrurile sunt mai complicate de atat. FSX ar rula si pe un PIII. Din pacate e pe 32 de biti si cu tehnologii limitate asa ca noi avem un sac de grau si el foloseste doar o lingurita din el. Asa ca avem calculatoare puternice pentru X-Plane si DCS, in nici un caz FSX :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:01:25 PM by Adrian Chitan »

Offline Sebastian Rus

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
Adrian , multumesc tare mult pentru raspuns. Astept FSUIPC-ul sa vedem , poate ,poate :)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »
Salut!

Scuze pentru intarziere. Se pare ca mie imi facea probleme FSUIPC 4.955 si apoi am trecut la 4.939. Vad ca l-am luat de la http://flyawaysimulation.com/. Ia vezi daca merge.

Succes.

Offline Sebastian Rus

• Pilots
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »
Problema s-a rezolvat de la sine dupa ce Windowsul si-a facut o gramada de updateuri.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27