Author Topic: 100th post  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
100th post
« on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:13 AM »
Hi, guys

so here I am, passing the 100th post on Air Danubius forum. So I thought how to better celebrate this but for talking a bit about my experience within Air Danubius.

So I joined AD in October 2013, in like a month after I started flying online on VATSIM. I was flying FSX then, and the thing that made me go online were PMDG add-ons who made IFR flight more true-to-life or actually doable, as opposed to default FSX planes who had nothing to do with IFR flying. I loved doing the flight school lessons in FSX because you were getting licences and they kind of followed what you would get in real life flying schools (PPL->IFL->CPL->ATPL) but faster. Nevertheless, the documentation behind the lessons was and still is the best flying school documentation you get in any simulator. That is where I learned how to intercept a VOR radial, what is an ILS or why is the rudder on single engine prop aircraft offset to one side by construction. Or at least I learned what to look for to deepen my aviation knowledge.

My only online experience before September 2013 was some 3-4 years before that, on IVAO as a tower/app controller for a small airport near Amsterdam's Schiphol (I don't remember the name or the ICAO/IATA naming).

Moving to PMDG add-ons had a big effect on my virtual flying. My first add-on was the B737-800/900 (with FS2Crew) which made me learn a whole lot about airline procedures and system management flying. Flying for AD VA further the immersion because now I actually had to follow flight plans with people on board and my landing rate, flight hours and all other beautiful nuts and bolts were recorded. That is why no two flights looked the same even if the departure and the destination were the same. Adding software like ActiveSky 2012 and REX weather depictor or AivlaSoft EFB and considering failures increased the realism of my virtual flying. Because I couldn't get enough, I ended up increasing my FSX air fleet with PMDG's B747-400x/8x, J41, B777-200, B737-600/700, Aerosoft's F-16 and AirbusX (320/321) and Carenado's CT206H and C172N.

At the start of 2014, I have made a big move. Because of the increase in my FSX crashing rate, I bought X-Plane 10. I actually had X-Plane in mind for quite some time because of its realistic flight modelling, but I didn't have a reason. Now, I did :D. And the more I flew X-Plane the more I realised that even PMDG cannot get me back to FSX. And that is mostly because X-Plane has amazing add-ons, too, but it also takes advantage of the more realistic flight modelling. So my X-Plane fleet extended with JRollon's JS32 and CRJ-200, FlyJSim's B727 series, B737-200Adv and Dash8, FlightFactor's B777-200 and the B757-200, SSG's B747-8i, Alabeo's Lincair Legacy, Hager's A321, JarDesign's A320neo and Carenado's C172N, C90B King Air, PA-46 Malibu Mirage and the C340. As auxiliary tools I purchased PFPX which I use for my IFR flight planning in the airliners and along with SkyMaxxPro and EFAAS for weather catching and depiction and the realistic ground meshes, I made X-Plane look amazing.

In the meantime, my AD hours were steadily increasing. Because I was in my last PhD year, I was rarely going to work (my workplace being in the Academic/R&D sector is giving passes to PhD study periods because they actually need me to be a doctor in Physics) so I flew a lot for AD in 2014 between writing the thesis and documenting for it. But even so, I didn't send all my PIREPS to the "accepting authority" because maybe I didn't like the landing rate or my simulator crashed while on the destination runway (yes, FSX), etc. I like to do things as realistic as possible so I hate when I have quirks in my PIREPS. That is why I have picked up 1473.52 hours which means that in 1 year and 6 months I have spent a little over 2 full months in the air for which I am kind of proud :D. Also, I am just 26.48 hours away from my Senior Captain promotion.

One of my best moments in AD flights was in the winter of 2013 when we all went to a little airport in Norway (I think the event was called Going to Santa Clause or something with the same effect) from somewhere in Germany. All of Norway was controlled and because of the high traffic I had to take a 45-minute hold and squeeze in a slot for landing. The other most beautiful moment was during a massive VFR swarm over controlled Romania. Of course, there were many other flights that for me were perfection even if they were just simple IFR A to B flights. I remember a flight when I was going to Prague from Bucharest in a B737-700 and over the border of the Czech Republic I got a FIRE IN THE CARGO BAY alarm. The Czech Republic was controlled and he helped me position my plane towards the nearest airport that could take me while I was doing the non-normal checklist to keep the plane flying and not kill the 100+ people on board. It was perfection!

But I can also remember some sub-par moments. Like when I was flying towards EGLL and it was controlled all the way. The controller gave me permission to intercept ILS but for some reason the plane didn't so I announced a faulty ILS receiver and requested a reroute to visual approach, to which the controller replied "I think it's best that you disconnect". This made me laugh but it also made me kind of hate VATSIM controllers because they spoil the fun by not following realistic procedures (there are good controllers but mostly they are bad). Another bad moment was on my last flight in the JS32 when I got to the flare on landing at Timisoara. The real plane's throttle lever has a notch that separates FLIGHT IDLE from GROUND IDLE or IDLE REVERSE (or BETA REGIME), but the virtual plane doesn't (of course I could program it on the HOTAS Warthog but didn't). So I idled my throttle controls and the prop went into beta regime which is kind of like the reverse on turbofans. So the plane lost speed extremely fast and I hit the ground with over 400 fpm. But that's how you learn stuff :D.

On the financial side of things, I usually try to do Career flights which to me seem more realistic than the rest of the options. That is why, I have brought AD a profit of 17 million euros from a total gross income of 26 million euros :D.

So on the whole it was a perfect year and a half with Air Danubius. I still hate when controllers ask me how should they call me when they see DBX because we are there in the top when looking at VATSIM statistics, especially during massive events. Unfortunately, I cannot attend events to much because weekends are for my newborn daughter :D now. But otherwise, I fly as often as I can and will do. I will still read every manual or book about aviation I get my hands on and I will still post annoying stuff here :D about how to fly planes or how various systems work because as long as we pay 40 or 60 or even 100 euros for an add-on, it's kind of wasting money if we don't know everything there is to know about that system and we're not trying to use it as real as possible.

Looking forward to more Air Danubius flights on an ever increasing add-on fleet.

Cheers guys and thank you for having me on Air Danubius.

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Popularity: +5/-1
  • Flying is a way of life
    • View Profile
    • Air Danubius - virtual airline company
Re: 100th post
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
Applause! May i have your permision to publish this statement on the main site Adrian? Please??

Thank you for being such a part of the team mate!

Benny

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Re: 100th post
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:58:58 PM »
Go ahead, Benny! I wrote it for you all :D.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27