Author Topic: it finally happened...  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
it finally happened...
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:37 PM »
Hello, hello

What I never thought could happen, finally happened. I was brought down by weather!

I was flying the A320 from Munich, Germany (EDDM) to Saint Exupery, France (LFLL) with 78 pax onboard. When I looked at the METAR for Saint Exupery they announced Cumulonimbus in the area. While descending, around the time I was crossing the Swiss border, I saw, on my weather radar, that I was approaching an ugly red area (see picture below).

But I kept my flight plan unchanged because I never thought that weather could bring me down. I was expecting some medium to severe turbulence but that was all. And suddenly, hale stones started hitting the airplane (could actually hear them) and the ice detected warning sprung on. I started all anti ice devices and kept on going. Thunders began to shot around the plane. And when I hit the red areas, all hell broke loose. The plane started spinning, engines were fluctuating and flamed out eventually. In all this hellish situation, the only friend I had was the artificial horizon while I was trying desperately to keep the plane on the 0-0. But to no avail, because the convection currents in a Cumulonimbus can reach insane speeds. And finally the cloud disappeared and all I saw through the windshield was the terrifying green of the ground. To my surprise I managed to level the wings and put the earth where it's supposed to be, but I couldn't pull hard enough to raise the nose in time, the altitude being to low to recuperate the negative pitch too. I hit the ground at around -9000 fpm.

If I only had taken a southern route around the red area and arrive South of Saint Exupery instead of North...I hope the french BEA will conclude the right verdict: PILOT ERROR :D.
The good thing is that now I know and will never enter a red area again. That's why I have the contingency fuel onboard ;).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:24:47 PM by Adrian Chitan »

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Popularity: +5/-1
  • Flying is a way of life
    • View Profile
    • Air Danubius - virtual airline company
Re: it finally happened...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
Da fuk. This x-plane is too realistic :) Im glad that you actually are safe and sound in the end.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Re: it finally happened...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
:D...yeah. I was taken by surprise, too. Anyways, redid the flight with no problems this time. Just a bit of light to moderate turbulence over kind of the same area with some high clouds (cumulus congestus), but no Cumulonimbus. :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27