Author Topic: A2A C182  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
A2A C182
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:45:23 PM »
I know I could have put this in my FSX Steam testing post but...WOW!!!

So I reinstalled FSX and started testing all the plane add-ons I had. Unfortunately, when you come from X-Plane where you actually feel the flight with every add-on, you kind of feel that you're watching an interactive movie in FSX. You just have to press some buttons and the movie will go this way or that way. I have felt this in the PMDG and Aerosoft add-ons (oh my God, the Airbus was soooo boring - totally different experience in X-Plane). Even Carenado's add-ons were to static for my taste (again, compared to X-Plane's). So I thought why not buy the cream of the top in FSX airplane add-ons (actually I had my eyes on the Cherokee for a long time now, but now I got the reason and I thought why not take the latest in the series - plus, I wanted a constant speed prop airplane).

After reading through the manuals, I felt unbelievable excited to start it up and get flying the beast. When I got in the cockpit, I felt in the presence of greatness. And truly so...oh my God how this model lives and breathes. WOW! Even with all the reading, I managed to flood the engine on my first start try. Luckily, my father has an old carburetor Dacia 1310L which I've driven quite a lot and I know a thing or two about engines. Thus, I managed to unflood it without pressing the COMPLETE OVERHAUL button. Actually my plan is to use the same C182 for my VFR flights and let it age, and break, and burn oil...etc. etc...with as little as possible of repair button presses. And in time I'll add stuff (wheel fairings, etc.). And wow, this add-on really lets you do this. I finished a pattern flight around Seattle, tied it down to the tarmac and left it there. In my second flight it was exactly the same, with no wheel chocks because I forgot to put them but with the ropes tied. Not to mention that all my settings were the same. And add to that that the plane actually aged in the time between my flights, AMAZING (well, only an hour between flights, but still :D).

Now to the serious part :p..this plane really feels alive in weather, in engine vibration, in prop pitch change etc. The problem of FSX to not really simulate slips and slides (no rudder input needed throughout the flight) is gone, thanks to this thing called AccuSim. I was landing with full flaps 60 knots in calm winds and my coordination ball was wobbling all over because the rudder is less effective as slow speeds and high AoA, while in the same time the effect of wind is increased. You hear the wind washing the side of the plane when you slide or slip. You hear the prop gasping for that good hunk of air when you're in high AoA situations. And it's not just audible, the prop actually acts as it should in those situations, the body of the plane adds drag when you slide/slip. I am amazed!

I succeeded in NOT fouling the spark plugs :D by leaning on the ground almost to stalling - I actually made the engine backfire with so much leaning. I tell you guys...it's a great feeling when flying an A2A product, as I know some of you already know.

A2A boast with the fact that the "radio stack" is accurate and you should read the real manual to find out how to use them. I haven't yet, but I have used the stack in my first flights and I can tell you that they seem "real as hell". X-Plane and FSX have a quirk that is really appreciated by rookie and veteran pilots alike. That is how the NAV/APPR autopilot handles radial/gs intercepts. In FSX and in X-Plane the intercept is perfect. You can put your plane perpendicular to a radial, zoom through it and the NAV autopilot will turn and catch it on the first try with no problems what so ever. That is not really how things happen in real life, especially with GA equipment like the Bendix King KAP140 autopilot. Unless you maneuver so that your heading is very close to the intercept course, the plane will S-turn a million times until the needle is perfectly aligned. Same with the GS interceptor, only use it in the initial ILS intercept because when you put flaps out, it will loose track and it will wobble up and down. So not only that you have to put it in a good intercept situation, but you should also be careful not to upset it.

And I already have some embarrassing moments with it :D. While my first landing was close to perfection, on my second flight (Seattle to Portland) I stalled a wing (undoable in other FSX add-ons that use the default flight modelling) moments before touch-down. Luckily it wasn't a huge stall but enough to make me kind of slam the plane with 230 fpm. But it was my fault, I used the same procedure (speeds) to land it with 4 passengers and luggage as with only one pilot without checking the performance tables :D...still learning!

Conclusion...I think it will remain my only VFR/short IFR airplane. I cannot really put it in any class, with anything bought until now. While this kind of flight dynamics you kind of also get in X-Plane, X-Plane doesn't simulate the engine as A2A does (and other systems for that matter). Not to mention the walk around, the fact that fuel and oil get impurities and deplete with time...as they say: YOU SHOULD FOLLOW REAL PROCEDURES, which is the highest peak of simulation we actually have for GA. Add to that the flight modelling and I now own the best simulation on the market. And proud of it!

Of course, I now leave you with some pictures from my two flights in this amazing model.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:55:47 PM by Adrian Chitan »

Offline Bogdan Ghincea

• Captain
  • Administrator
  • Popularity: +5/-1
  • Flying is a way of life
    • View Profile
    • Air Danubius - virtual airline company
Re: A2A C182
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »
O always flood the engine on this one :) Great bird anyway.

Offline Adrian Chitan

• Pilots
  • Popularity: +17/-1
    • View Profile
Re: A2A C182
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:50 AM »
:D...what is amazing is that to unflood it you really have to use real life logic: crank the engine with throttle opened (to make the system put extra fuel in the excess line) and no new fuel coming in (mixture at idle cutoff). And to unfoul the spark plugs without taking them out and cleaning them, just as in real life, you put the engine in a high RPM setting with just minimum fuel coming in the cylinders (mixture at minimum required to sustain that regime) and the plugs will clean themselves in the high airflow.

No, I'm telling you, I am blown away by this... :D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27